Students who participate in the CHAMPS Program will have the opportunity to:
- Build trusting and supportive relationships with a college mom
- Receive help with transitioning from high school to college
- Learn techniques on how to balance school, parenting, work and life
- Expand knowledge of applying for college, financial aid, selecting career paths and options
- Learn first-hand experiences from college moms about life as a mom in college
- Meet and interact with other teen moms in the Columbus area
- Receive a $25 gift card each month after completing all monthly CHAMPS program requirements
CHAMPS participants accepted into the program will be required to:
Attend Monthly College Prep Workshops (In-Person & Virtual)
Complete Weekly Online Activity via a Virtual Mentoring Portal
Interact Regularly with CHAMPS Mentor
Complete Monthly Online Mentee Check-In Forms
Note: A Zoom or Phone interview is required after application is submitted and reviewed.
Mentors commit to one year of mentoring beginning in the fall. Mentors will attend leadership development trainings prior to the start of the program to assist in the mentoring and relationship building process. The trainings will cover program curriculum, mentor expectations, how to foster mentor/mentee relationships and mentor/mentee benefits.
During the fall, mentors and mentees will be matched based upon common interests and career goals. The pair will interact monthly during the eight month project via program workshops, emails and phone. We are hopeful that mentees and mentors will build long lasting relationships and keep in contact after graduation and beyond the umbrella of the CHAMPS Program.
Category I: One-on-One Mentoring
Category I is for HS students only. Category I participants will be matched with one pregnant/parenting college student who participates in the Ohio State ACCESS Program in a one-on-one mentoring relationship. Category I mentees will be required to attend mandatory monthly college prep workshops alongside their mentor throughout the academic school year.
Eligibility: Participation as a Category I Mentee requires:
High School female who is pregnant or parenting in the Columbus surrounding area (recent high school graduates will be considered at staff's discretion)
Serious interest in attending a 2-year or 4-year college
Interest in learning about transitioning from high school to college as a parenting student
Willingness to participate in a healthy mentoring relationship
Single parent who has full-time custodial responsibility of all dependent children
2.5 GPA or above
Special Note: Although we have desired GPA requirements, we will still review all applications, even if they do not meet the GPA requirements listed above.
Category I: One-on-One Mentoring
Category I participants will be matched with one pregnant/parenting high school student in a one-on-one mentoring relationship. Category I mentors will be required to attend mandatory monthly workshops alongside their mentee throughout the academic school year.
Eligibility: Participation as a Category I Mentor requires:
- Female single parent (or expecting single parent) attending a college or university in the Columbus, OH area and enrolled in the ACCESS Program
- Currently maintaining a GPA of a 2.5 or higher
- Looking for professional, presentation and leadership skills
- Interested in serving the community