YSP in the News
Young Scholar Alanna Strickland: Genocide and Its Aftermath in Rwanda
A first-generation college student, ODI Scholar and international studies major, Alanna Strickland studied abroad on the Genocide and Its Aftermath in Rwanda program in summer 2022 with support from The Boshara-Iannotti Family Scholarship for Young Scholars Studying Abroad and the Keith and Linda Monda International Experiences Scholarship.Read More
‘Education will change the hands you shake, the people you meet and the places you will go.’
A half marathon in downtown Columbus provided inspiration for James L. Moore III as he gave remarks at the Young Scholars Program (YSP) commitment ceremony in late April.Read More
YSP alum returns to district as social worker, advocate
Sly Worthy Jr. will return to the International City as a social worker this fall. The Lorain native is proud to return to his hometown, with plans to give back to the city that poured so much into him, he said.Read More
Our Scholars receive:
- Pre-college preparation through intensive college advising
- Group and one-on-one academic coaching and mentoring
- College planning tools and resources
- Academic, leadership, and social engagement at The Ohio State University
- Guided major and career exploration
- An opportunity to attend a world class research university with a generous scholarship
In particular, YSP seeks to:
- Enhance the academic preparation of Scholars for success at The Ohio State University.
- Increase the numbers of first-generation, low income targeted underrepresented students at The Ohio State University.
- Complement instruction offered during the academic year.
Connecting multiple levels of education, each year, YSP assists over 1,000 students state-wide, including 700 students in grades 8-12 and 350 undergraduate students, serving as a stepping stone for success at Ohio State and beyond.
What YSP Means to Me
YSP aims to bring the best experience to all its Scholars. Read below what our students are saying about the Scholars Program:
- "YSP has given many first generation students, including myself, an opportunity to make a difference not only in our own lives but also the lives of our loved ones and our communities. Since the 6th grade, I have been a part of this program. I knew then that I had to work diligently in order to obtain my scholarship. Little did I know upon my initial induction, YSP cares about our academic achievements, personal development and well-being.”
- "Young Scholars has afforded me opportunities that I never thought possible. I am a strong believer in this program. It is important that it keeps giving younger generations the same opportunities. I am a graduating Senior in Visual Communication Design, I have traveled to Brazil and in April, Taiwan and Tokyo. I would not be here at The Ohio State University if it were not for the Young Scholars Program.”
- "What the Young Scholars Program has done for me and my fellow scholars exceeds description. It is because of this program that I will be attending the Ohio State University this upcoming fall tuition free. This program has opened multiple doors for me and has truly been the stepping stone I needed to complete my career goals. The Young Scholars Program is by far the most rewarding program I have ever been apart of and I would be at a loss without it.”
- "The Young Scholars Program has not only supplied me with a future education, but also with the confidence and integrity to strive for my dreams, no matter how big or radical they may be. And for that, I can not thank them enough!”