New Scholar Applications Coming Soon!
The Young Scholars Program is accepting applications for Ohio Students who are 8th graders in a public school in one of the designated nine urban school districts. Students who meet all financial, academic and other requirements AND are enrolled in the following Ohio school districts are eligible to apply for the Young Scholars Program*:
- Akron Public Schools
- Canton City Schools
- Cincinnati Public Schools
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Columbus City Schools
- Dayton Public Schools
- Lorain City Schools
- Toledo Public Schools
- Youngstown City Schools
*Students must be attending a public school in one of the listed districts at the time of application and admission to the Young Scholars Program.
Program Eligibility: 8th graders
To be eligible for the Young Scholars Program, all applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled in 8th grade and entering 9th grade in Fall 2020
- Have a strong desire and motivation to enroll in and graduate from a 4-year college or university
- Qualify as low-income and have a family income that is at or below the household maximum income guidelines
- Qualify as first-generation in the family to receive a bachelor's degree
- Have an interest in attending The Ohio State University and residing on campus in Columbus, OH during their 1st and 2nd years
- Maintain a minimum, unweighted grade point average of 3.3 or above*
- Have earned grades of all or mostly A's (with few B's and C's) in core academic subjects
- Demonstrate good school attendance and positive behavior
- Reside in the state of Ohio and be enrolled in a public school
- Qualify as first generation
- Be at or below the household income maximum
- Commit to successful completion of a college prep curriculum in high school
*Students with a 3.5 GPA or above are preferred and will be the strongest candidates.
To gain access to Young Scholar applications material:
Applications can be submitted by mail (with all application materials in a large manila envelope) or in person to the YSP staff member in your city, (see the last page of the Frequently Asked Questions for a listing of YSP Program Coordinators), or via email (with application, essay and other documents attached electronically) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still have questions?
Call us at 614/292-4884 or via email at email@example.com.