Armada Henderson, Assistant Director, Young Scholars Program
Tuerei Williams, Program Coordinator, Young Scholars Program
Mandatory Training Dates:
Monday, August 12 - August 16, 2019
Saturday, January 11, 2020
All listed dates are mandatory.
August 12, 2019 – May 3, 2020
- ASPs will be assigned approximately 5-7 first-year students and will assist them in making the transition from high school to college, integration to the campus community, and monitoring their academic progress.
- ASPs also work closely with the Young Scholars program staff to provide services and assistance for Young Scholars undergraduate students and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide on-going one-on-one and group mentoring and guidance to current and former Young Scholar participants.
- Conduct weekly individual meetings with 5-7 assigned first-year Young Scholars.
- Meet with supervisor(s) on a regular basis and provide feedback and information about program participants.
- Provide required written and verbal reports and documentation describing contacts with scholars as well as other challenges or issues related to carrying out their job duties.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, training, workshops, and other Young Scholar activities.
- Assist in planning and facilitating first-year scholar workshops and other events planned throughout the term.
- Refer scholars to tutoring and campus resources relevant to their success.
- Maintain high academic performance (monitored by the Assistant Director at the end of each semester).
- Be available to work evenings and weekends as requested.
- Follow guidelines and policies set forth by the Young Scholars Program, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, and The Ohio State University.
- Eligible candidates must be available to attend a weekly staff meeting.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate student at Ohio State (Columbus) who has completed at least 30 credit hours of coursework as of autumn semester 2018
- Good academic standing with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) (3.2 CGPA preferred)
- Undergraduate students with strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations of students
- Ability to establish priorities and work autonomously
- Positive attitude and strong desire to help others
First-year ASPs are paid $10.00 and returning ASPs are paid $10.25 per hour after two terms of employment.
No offer is binding until spring semester grades review and a background check have been completed and approved by the YSP administrative staff