Hale Black Cultural Center
The Frank W. Hale, Jr. Black Cultural Center is named in honor of Dr. Frank Hale, Jr., a visionary leader, a tireless mentor, and a civil rights crusader who fought to increase opportunities for minority students at The Ohio State University. Dr. Hale was the former Associate Dean of the Graduate School, and Vice Provost for the Office of Minority Affairs and Special Assistant to the President.
Students envision a new Hale Center
For the students in Professor Kay Bea Jones' Architecture 4420 Vertical Design Studio, the presentation of their vision for the Frank W. Hale, Jr. Black Cultural Center expansion was the culmination of three month's work.Learn More about the Hale Hall expansion
Highlights of Hale Center Art Collection
Artist: Larry Winston Collins
Medium: Relief Painting
The “King's Life” painting was the first piece of artwork donated to the Hale Center. Created specifically for the Office of Minority Affairs' annual MLK exhibition in 1988, Mr. Collins donated the art to the Hale Center in 1989 prior to its opening on October 11, 1989.
Apartheid Series for Steven
Artist: Ed Colston
Medium: Mixed Media Painting
The Apartheid Series for Steven was donated by artist Ed Colston as a special tribute to Steven Biko. Ed Colston (November 20, 1936 – February 21, 2006), a local artist and former professor at the Columbus College of Art and Design, was known for his bold colors and abstraction in his works of art.
Artist: Charles Hollingsworth