2013 Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI)
Career and Job Fair
January 30 -31
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does The Fair cost? The fee is FREE for Ohio State students who pre-register. The fee is $1 for Ohio State students who register at the door. The fee for all non-Ohio State students is $5.00 to enter The Fair.
2. Why is The Fair held in January? The Fair is scheduled at this time to coincide with the peak recruiting periods of most major companies.
3. Where can I park? Parking is available in the Ohio Union Visitor Garage.
4. Will I get a job immediately? That depends. Even though some students are given offers on the spot, the normal interview process can be spread over the following weeks.
5. Some companies only hire from online submissions. Why should I bother to come to The Fair? In the world of recruiting, relationships still matter. The Job Fair gives you an opportunity make a favorable impression on a recruiter... in person.
6. How do I know which companies to visit? The online recruitment matrix outlines which exhibitors will be at The Fair and what their recruitment needs are. Select those organizations that match your needs and background. (A Company Matrix will be available on this site sometime early January).
7. What should I bring to The Fair? You should bring several copies of your current resume, business cards (if you have them), a pen and a small notepad.
8. What should I wear? Most companies prefer to see candidates in business attire, even if the work environment does not require it. Be well groomed - it makes a good impression.
9. I'm not really looking for a job, should I still come? The Fair provides an excellent networking opportunity. You can meet people who you may be able to call upon later when you are looking for a job. You can also learn more about what a company does and understand what skill sets will make you more attractive as a prospective employee. Lastly, you can use The Fair simply to practice you networking skills.
10. I've never been to a Career Fair, can anyone help me get ready? We have made a number of resources available to assist you. Our workshops focus on resume preparation and interviewing skills. Click here for more information. We also encourage you to research those companies that are of interest to you.
11. How can I register? The easiest way to register is by following these easy steps. Alternatively, you can register on the day of The Fair, but this is a more tedious process and time consuming.
12. How can I help? Each year the career & Job Fair Student Association asks for Volunteers. If you would like to volunteer to assist with The Fair, please click here.
13. What should I do after The Fair? It is good etiquette to send thank you letter to all the people you spoke to at The Fair. Let them know that you appreciate the information they shared with you and re-affirm your interest in opportunities within their organization. For this reason, you should ask each person you speak to for business cards, or at least write down their contact information.